Alright, here goes – I’m putting my New Years goals (please, not resolutions – sounds so beauracratic) into writing. I’ve got a lot of major goals, like everyone else, but some smaller ones as well. I think the small things are just as important as the big things, so onto the list they go.
– Eliminate the credit card debt! We don’t have much, but I don’t want any. I want to be a cash oriented household. Student loans and a mortgage someday are enough revolving debt for me.
– Save up for a down payment on some REAL ESTATE! It should take us a few months to deal with the credit card debt, then everything extra is going into savings for a down payment. Hopefully in 18 months we’ll have that cash in hand.
– Sewing. I want to learn how to sew properly with a machine so I can make my own clothes, like skirts and dresses. I also want to finish the redwork embroidery sampler that I’ve been working on since forever.
– Get the book club going! I tried to start my food-related book club, Food for Thought, in the fall but then the holidays arrived and derailed things. We’ll start fresh in January. If anyone in Chicago is interested in a monthly gathering of food and book addicts, please check out the book club’s blog – Food for Thought.
– Take language classes. I’d like to take some more French classes and learn Norwegian.
– Write daily. Post to the blog at least three times per week (I know everyone will be watching this one to see if it happens – feel free to hold me accountable!).
– Exercise. I know everyone puts this on their list. I’ve been walking three times per week, for a half hour each walk. It’s fairly easy to do in Chicago – instead of getting on at my usual train stop down town after work, I walk across town and get on the train at another stop. If you live in a metro area, this is easy to do – you can trick yourself into the habit by building in your errands around where you’re walking to. For me, there’s a grocery store and Redbox location across town, so I started doing my shopping and video pick ups there. However, I do have a very nice yoga mat gathering dust in a closet, so I’d like to a weekly yoga class in addition to my walking.